Monday, July 27, 2009

The Sweetest Ingredients in the Cup of Life

The purest happiness of an earthly nature,
is that which springs up in a comfortable home,
where there is a loving union of hearts
between man and wife.

The tender sympathies,
the delicate affections,
the minute attentions,
the watchful solicitudes,
the ceaseless kindnesses of marital love,
-- are the sweetest ingredients in the cup of life,
and
contribute a thousand times more

to earthly enjoyment,
than all the possessions of wealth,
and all the blandishments
of rank, station, and fashion.

~ James, "The Widow Directed to the Widow's God 1841" ~

6 comments:

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Beautiful!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Lovely thoughts!

Abounding Treasures said...

Mrs Rabe and Mrs H,

Glad you both enjoyed it! I like it as soon as I read it :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

NanaNor's said...

Hi Dallas, Loved the poem-quite touching. Hope you are well and enjoying your summer.
Blessings to you and yours today.

~~Deby said...

oh...I love this..I love this..it is beautiful...
deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Noreen & Deby,

It seemed to sum up so much and was so beautiful that I just had to share it :o)

Blessings to both of you,
Dallas