"All right ... if this is God's will, then He will have to tell me. If it involves me, I have a right to know!" ... Without a clear order from Him, God cannot expect me to give up the only home I have ever known ... Mama sang happily as she polished her linoleum, worked in her garden, and baked her bread. God was a good God, and He wouldn't take this precious house from her ...
"Now Lord, I want to obey Your will, but I must be sure it is Your will. If someone comes to buy this house, without any signs or advertisement; and if that same person wants to buy the red linoleum for what I paid for it, one dollar, then I will know it is Your will. I must be sure."
Since few houses were selling, Mama was confident no one would be looking at her small house.
"Excuse me, please." A pleasant lady stood in the doorway, viewing the flowers and talking to Mama. "I just passed by this darling house. Would you consider selling it?"
"Oh no," Mama answered. "I could never sell this house. Oh, just a moment. Please come in and have a cup of coffee."
"What a beautiful linoleum ... Would you sell that linoleum to me? I always wanted a red one!"
With her lips she said YES to the smiling lady. With her heart she said YES to the will of God. God had spoken! She would trust and she would obey!
from FIRST WE HAVE COFFEE by Margaret Jensen
Graphic Neighbour by Merryl Jaye
12 comments:
Loved this story-so fitting for my life right now. We moved from Ca. to Co. last year and have been renting. Now it's time to buy a home but finding the right one has been a challenge and I'm letting dear hubby take the lead. God has the perfect place for us and I just have to wait.
Thanks for sharing-it was so encouraging.
Noreen
What a lovely book you are sharing with us. One thing that I enjoy about your blogging is that you always seen to find the most approriate picture to tag along with the story. Today's picture is just beautiful!
Dear Dallas,
This is such a beautiful excerpt you have shared! I really appreciate the struggle "Mama" had with giving up her pretty home, garden and red linoleum, and her desire to trust and obey God and her husband. Isn't it wonderful how all we have to do is simply pray, no fretting or worry, just pray to the Lord and leave it in His hands. Though that can be difficult to do at times, it is always the best thing to do, as I learn this in my own life each and everyday!
Blessings,
Paula
Oh, Dallas,
What a story! God is definitely in the details too.
Hope you are feeling well. Be blessed.
Miriam :)
That is really cute and sweet, Dallas.
I am enjoying the quotes you are sharing--it's like getting to read all of the best parts from the book again! (o:
Aside from the Bible, this is my very favorite book.
I need to get this book. This is the second thing I have read that you posted and it's great! Thanks for sharing!
Noreen,
Amen! The Lord has a place for you that He already knows all about and what a testimony that you are letting your dear husband take the lead ...
***
Lady Laura,
Thanks ~ I *try* :o) And it is a wonderful story!
***
Paula,
You're right ~ just praying and leaving it all in the Lord's hands is the best thing always but sometimes it's difficult. It's something I am learning everyday too!
***
Miriam,
I am feeling great and you're so right ~ God is in ALL the details!
***
Cathy,
It touched my heart when I read it ... it was something I could relate to!
***
Michele,
I'm so glad I began to read it -- I love it :o)
***
Julie,
As I said just above, I'm so glad that I started to read this delightful story!
It's so wonderful that I've already requested another of her books at my local library and am on the lookout for some of her others!
***
Walking on Sunshine,
I promise you ~ you will LOVE the book!
~*~
Blessings and a wonderful weekend to each of you,
Dallas
Hi, Just as soon as the snow stops and the roads are safe i plan on going to the book shop and get this book. My husband and i sold our home, gave away or sold most of our house hold and moved into a tiny apartment to be near my daughter who was very ill at the time. With his need of a transplant it was a choice we thought best for all. On my blog listed under
"secret haven" i explain it better and i have some photos. It was not easy, but the Lord has been blessing us so much i no loner miss my home and stuff. I look forward to the next move he has in store for us. I love your book reviews and the pictures that go with it. You definately have talent. Dee
This is such a wonderful book. Thank you for sharing parts of it. I need to read it again. Mama is such an encouragement!
Dee,
Thanks so much!
I'm going to check out *secret haven* on your blog and read all about you selling everything and getting a tiny apt. As you say, I'm sure it was the Lord's solution for your husband needing a transplant and your daughter being so ill ... it's wonderful when we leave all our *steps* in His hands!
***
Susan,
Mama is an amazing encouragement in all sorts of circumstances and shows the grace, love and strength of our Lord Jesus Christ in action, in all the details :o)
~*~
Blessings to both of you,
Dallas
Post a Comment