Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Complaining About the Weather

He who complains of the weather,
complains of the God
who ordained the weather!


~ William Law ~

Complaining about the weather
seems to be a favorite American pastime.
Sadly, we Christians often get caught up
in this ungodly habit in our society.

But when we complain about the weather,
we are actually complaining against God
who sent us our weather.
We are, in fact, sinning against God.
(see Numbers 11:1).

~ Jerry Bridges ~

I'm not sure about you,
but I know that I complain about the weather,
especially when it has been raining more often
than I think is pleasant,
or so hot and humid that I'm literally dripping!


Until I read this quote the other day,
it hadn't consistently dawned on me that in complaining,
even though it seems like a harmless thing to do,
was in reality,
complaining against God and what He has chosen to do!

Wow!!!
That was a real wake-up call for me
and will be something

that I am aware of from now on!!


ADDENDUM: Many of you have mentioned that this could apply to any area of our lives, that we as Christians complain about, and I agree wholeheartedly!

The main reason I used this quote and this illustration is that I think for the most part, we as Christians, get caught up in the world's way of nattering about the weather, whether it's good or bad, that we don't want it or appreciate it and wish it would change, etc. and for the most part, most of us, don't really think we're actually complaining about what God has ordained. We think we're just nattering on about something inconsequential.

Well, as these quotes point out, it's much more fundamental than that and this was a real *OUCH* moment for me because I complained a lot about the high humidity and intense heat this summer .... basically saying that I would be glad when it was cooler :o)

17 comments:

~~Deby said...

OUCH...but I think you are right...and these quotes so true...
we are not supposed to be so affected by the weather, are we....this was great..especially for someone like me that has months of rainy gloomy days...I have sunshine in my SOUL...gotta watch that complaining...
loved this Dallas...
so encouraging.
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby,

OUCH is exactly what I said when I first came upon these 2 quotes!

A real eye-opener for me :o)

Blessings,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Dear Dallas,

I so want to thank you for sharing this.

When we complain period, it is a direct hit to what the Lord is doing in our lives.

The weather, our children, our lot in life all comes from Him. The good and the bad.

Complaining is just in a way raising our fists upward and saying...why this?

Thank you dear friend for sharing,

mari

~Tammy~ said...

I looked up the verse in the Bible.

Very sobering....

NanaNor's said...

Hi Dallas, What a great reminder! I try to cultivate an attitude of gratefullness and praise in all things but it is so easy to complain about the little things and forget Who ordains all things. Thanks for this post.
Noreen

Anonymous said...

I think this could apply to most of the circumstances we find ourselves in. And as Deby said "Ouch!"

Blessings,
Michele

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dallas! It won't be long before the rainy gray days will be here to stay for awhile ~ your post brought to mind Psalm 33:1. I think praise is much more becoming than complaining! A good reminder to me!

Have a lovely day,

Sharon

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Dallas,

This is so true! Thank you for the reminder, that when we complain about anything, we really are complaining about the Lord!
You have a beautiful, godly, and inspiring blog.

Love,

Marqueta

Abounding Treasures said...

Oh Mari,

This is so true ~ thanks for sharing!

* * *

Tammy,

I know!!

* * *

Noreen,

Welcome to my blog and thanks for sharing that! I know for me, it was an eye-opener to really realize what complaining about something as seeminly inconsequentail as the weather really was!!

* * *

Michele,

I so agree with that and have added an *addendum* to explain why specifically complaining about the weather was what I use ~

* * *

Sharon,

Praise is so much more becoming!

* * *

Marqueta,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and all I can say is AMEN to the fact that any complain we have is really complaining against the Lord!

~*~

Tomorrow, may each of you have a delightful day as the Lord leads your footsteps,
Dallas

Susan B said...

Hi Dallas, Thank you for these quotes. They can be applied in many areas of life. It is so easy to complain about things, and not realize you are doing it! This is something I need to be more aware of.

Thank you for your sweet welcome on my blog. :)

Abounding Treasures said...

Welcome Susan, to the wonderful world of Christian blogging!

I know you'll enjoy it as much as I have and I can hardly believe that my 1st Blog-A-Versary will be here in just a couple of months!

Blessings,
Dallas

Anonymous said...

Good Evening Dallas ~

Thank you for sharing this! Thank you for the reminder! I need to spend more time being thankful and less time complaining.

Simple blessings.

Hugs ~
Teri

Lady Laura said...

An eye-opening post. I've never considered discussing the weather as complaining, but it really is.

Your post reminded me of how the Isrealites grumbled in their tents when they were wandering in the desert and how it angered God. Now, they weren't out in the marketplace discussing conditions with fellow workers; they were in the privacy of their tents discussing conditions with family member and God heard them. Of course, He too, can hear the grumbling in our hearts that we never verbalize.

I so enjoy your blog. A number of your posts have caused me to more closely examine my walk with the Lord and my living witness. You're an encouragement.

Anonymous said...

So good to read a post on this subject! This is a subject that I have thought much about. In complaining, might I be questioning the wisdom of He Who doeth all things well???

Nattering . . . now that is a word I have never heard and will add to my vocabulary! I like it!

So enjoy your thoughtful, inspiring posts, dear Dallas.

Abounding Treasures said...

Teri,

Good to hear from you once again!

That's exactly how I feel :o)

* * *

Lady Laura,

It was a real *eye opener* for me when I came across those 2 quotes!

I really appreciated what you brought out about the Israelites grumbling in the privacy of their own tents ... and moreso, about us grumbling in the *privacy of our own hearts* ~ WOW!! That one really hit home!

If something that the Lord has laid on my heart can be of any small benefit to another, I give Him all the glory ...

* * *

Caryn,

I so appreciated what you said: "In complaining, might I be questioning the wisdom of He Who doeth all things well?"

I think that is EXACTLY what I am doing, although today we give it all sorts of other more acceptable names!

~*~

Blessings to each of you as your day is fully underway,
Dallas

Mo said...

I try so hard not to complain about the weather, but sometimes it just comes out of my mouth.
I would love for it to be Autumn down here weather wise....not just on the calendar......but it just isn't going to happen! I've made friends with humidity, I must make a friend with October.
Here we are, on the Gulf of Mexico and I want to see frost on the pumpkins! I need to be thankful for warm sunny days so I can hang towels out on the line instead.
***There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.***

Abounding Treasures said...

Mobunny,

I don't think I'll ever make friends with the humidity ~ my body just isn't able to take it very well :o)

Have a wonderful weekend!
Dallas