"There is a reverence for the simple,
quiet pleasures of living well and beautifully at home...
They stitched and patched together intricate bits of colorful cotton . . .
And it is in our homes that we can become more truly ourselves by paying greater attention to the specific ingredients and finishing touches we select to change our homes into something that is uniquely our own, and daily routines into graceful rituals."
quiet pleasures of living well and beautifully at home...
"Think of the satisfaction women in an earlier age had in working at sewing bees, recording the principal benchmarks of life ~ love, weddings, births and deaths.
They stitched and patched together intricate bits of colorful cotton . . .And it is in our homes that we can become more truly ourselves by paying greater attention to the specific ingredients and finishing touches we select to change our homes into something that is uniquely our own, and daily routines into graceful rituals."
~ Alexandra Stoddard ~
*Living a Beautiful Life*
*Living a Beautiful Life*

8 comments:
I so agree with this. It is almost hard on me to find stuff women have worked on, to find it tossed aside in thrift shops or yard sales etc...instead of the next generation wanting it...I feel like a rescuer sometimes....
I like it when I find a younger person that still appreciates the beauty in handwork and wants to learn it ...
Deby
Deby,
I know just what you mean because I've seen things that should be treasured heirlooms tossed into thrift shops too and I understand your feeling about being a *rescuer* :o)
It's a joy to discover young women who delight in handwork and in appreciating treasures of yesterday, lovingly and hand-crafted!
Blessings,
Dallas
" ... it is in our homes that we can become more truly ourselves ..."
This is so true, Dallas. I love the pictures you chose to complete this post. Beautiful.
Isn't this a great book? Lots of good ideas and quotes.
As usual your post was a blessing, great thoughts and lovely pictures.
A lovely post, Dallas! A couple of years ago I found a wonderful granny square afghan at the thrift shop and I was so saddened that it wasn't in someone's home being treasured and enjoyed ~ so I rescued it and now enjoy it so much in my own home! It was such a lot of work that someone went to!
Have a lovely weekend,
Sharon
Sharon,
I know exactly how you feel ...
At least now, that lovely heirloom granny square afghan is being enjoyed by someone who truly treasures it and appreciates the time and care that went into creating it :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
Dear Dallas, I too have "rescued" many great finds from the shops.
I feel that, as a woman, I owe it to my family to make things with my hands. This has been a gift from the Lord since I was a little girl. I enjoy the feel of fabric and to have that fabric emerge as something for my family, is quite rewarding!
ps: the picture of the singer-treadle sewing machine is just like my treadle. A joy to see it :)
Thank so much Dallas for sharing this great post.
mari
Lady Jane,
It *is* so true and I'm glad you enjoyed the accompanying graphics!
* * *
Michele,
I love the abundance of excellent quotes and ideas in that book and thanks for the sweet comment :o)
* * *
Mari,
How wonderful that you can take yards of fabric and sew something that members of your family can use!
I thought of you when I saw the treadle sewing machine :o)
Hand-made things are so wonderful because they can be cherished long after their first use is completed!
Blessings to all,
Dallas
Post a Comment