Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Sentimental Treasures

I am a *pack rat* ... sort of ... ~ my home is relatively neat and things are usually orderly, not cluttered, but I keep things because of sentimental value.

I keep all sorts of things from the past, just in case I need or want them in the future!

I have kept many of the greeting cards that I have received down through the years - from my grandmother, my mom, my in-laws, friends, and of course my husband and our children.

I even have 2 of my old autograph books ~ remember those from yesteryear??

I have a couple of phonics workbooks of mine from Grade 1, a notebook from Grade 3 and several items from High School ... essays, projects and the like.

I have saved many of my childrens' baby clothes thinking that someday one of them might want an outfit or two for their own baby ~ I realize that the clothes might be considered *old fasioned* by then, but that's okay :o)

I have saved most of my childrens' Little Golden Books as well as any others that were favorites as they were growing up. They remind me of times when we cuddled together and shared special moments. I notice on ebay that some of them are now considered *collectors' items* and yet I wouldn't consider selling them!

I have saved all sorts of special drawings and stories that my children did when they were younger and I was teaching them at home.

Although I didn't homeschool them, I always felt better sending them off to school ONLY after I had taught them all the basics at home first!

I have saved so many items of sentimental value that I reailze that I need to get a better filing and storage system so that an item can be retrieved at a moment's notice.

Are you a pack rat? Do you keep items that have sentimental value? Or, are you the type of person who does not like gathering things?

TOP - a drawing by my daughter
BOTTOM - my daughter's portrait of herself in her Brownie uniform that I had used at my old Geocities website and sadly, didn't seem to keep the original drawing :o(

9 comments:

Momala said...

I'm usually not a packrat, except with the things my kids have made. I have a two large boxes in my closet for keepsakes. One is for all the special things the kids have made for me over the years, and the other is for any other special item I want to keep. I also have a box for each child with special papers from school and report cards and such.

It's so fun to go through these boxes, they hold so many precious memories!

Mindy

Abounding Treasures said...

Mindy,

I have done the same and couldn't have said it better than you ~

"...these boxes, they hold so many precious memories!"

Have a wonderful day!
Dallas

Anonymous said...

My dear Dallas, I don't tend to hold on to "stuff". But my boys' drawings, A's first dresses, the blankies I made for them, their first shoes... Oh boy, I had no idea I have kept so much. One day, I hope to pass them on to my grandchildren and share their dad's childhood in this manner.

Thank you dear friend, for bringing such a smile to my face with your lovely pictures...

blessings,

mari

~~Deby said...

Having a life of moving I have been one to toss out FAR too much stuff....but I have a file cabinet now that I keep special things in...
I do like when I really purge things, my house has tooo much stuff in it...I am forever trying to make it more tidy, efficient and organized....
~~deby

Dorothy said...

You have such a lovely serene and peaceful place...I have so enjoyed looking around and have completely enjoyed your post...your post on sentimental treasures is so precious...I have a treasure box of a few things belonging to my grown children..now I have little grandbabies...hard to part with little things that belong to them...We do lots of photography that is now stored on my computer :)I'll visit again...Good blessings..Dee Dee

TO BECOME said...

I am very much like you. I just can't bring myself to throw away anything that my husband ever gave to me in the form of letters or notes. I could no more throw away letters and cards from my children than I could throw away anything that is precious. I just cannot. I don't mind being this way. I have things that have brought back many very special memories. connie from Texas

Mo said...

I would be a packrat.....I have two bags of cards waiting for my attention. When I finally go through them, I will smile about the ones that gave them to me..... I have a zipper bag that I just found today that has art? work from our older kids when they were little.......I have a rock my dad gave me for my birthday.......I have kept books from when the kids were little.......we still have the BLUE! suit my husband wore when we got married.......
Is a packrat the same as being sentimental?
Because if it isn't, then I'm both.
If you have room and you enjoy something, I think you ought to keep it.
Just keep it neat, right?

Abounding Treasures said...

Mari,

I know what you mean and what a wonderful way to share with your grandchildren :o)

I have held on to all sorts of precious things that have sentimental value for me!

I'm so glad these pictures brought a smile to your face!

* * *

Deby,

I know what you mean when there's too much and you want to organize!

I go through various boxes every once in awhile, moreso during the winter months - but I always ask myself if I could be sure I didn't want the item and if I can't say YES without reserve, back it goes into the box!

* * *

Dee Dee,

I'm so glad that you stopped by for a visit and thanks for your sweet comments!

Your treasure box sounds like a wonderful way of keeping a few precious things that you don't want to part with :o)

Isn't having grand-babies so special?!! I have 1 grandson and he has a sibling on the way this October but they live over 3,000 miles away :o(

* * *

Connie,

I can completely understand!

I cannot part with many of these special treasures either and I don't mind being like this ... it makes me, *me* :o)

May Wednesday be a great day for all of you,
Dallas

Abounding Treasures said...

Mobunny,

I don't know if someone who keeps treasures of sentimental value is a pack-rat ... that's why I started the post the way I did.

I completely agree with what you said - "If you have room and you enjoy something, I think you ought to keep it."

Blessings,
Dallas