Have you ever been doing something which evokes dear memories of long ago places and dear ones?We had friends for supper this past Friday and just as we were heading into the living room to continue our visit after a delicious meal, my brother-in-law knocked on the door to kindly drop off a bag of freshly picked green and yellow beans from his garden.
Well, Saturday afternoon I decided those beans would be a yummy addition to our supper of new potatoes and BBQ pork steaks.
Intermingled with the beans were pea pods and as I was separating them into a pile for another day, I decided to shell just a couple and try them raw.
As soon as I took them from their little pod and ate them, I was enveloped by wonderful memories of sitting as a child with my Grandma and shelling bowls of delicious, fresh peas!!
At that stage of their lives, my grandparents were renting a small house and no longer had their own garden, but they did have a kind and generous neighbour who encouraged my Grandma to pick any fresh veggies from the huge garden that she desired .... on a regular basis :o)
When I spent that summer with them, that garden was a source of wonder and delight to me! I would be taken next door with an empty bowl and have the fun of filling it up with things for our supper.
I considered myself really fortunate if my Grandma decided to bake some of her special shortbread cookies and I got to help with putting the green or red candied cherries pieces on the tops :o)I know I'm not alone with memories such as these ~ I'd love to hear YOURS!

Photo of peas from All Posters
9 comments:
Oh Dallas, you just took me back!
My grandmother also lived in a rented house for many years until she became too ill to live alone.
While in this house, she had the most outstanding gardens, chickens, pigs, and turkeys.
My favoriate memory of her cooking was when she decided it was time to butcher the chicken and make her "sancocho de gallina" translated, spanish chicken stew.
This is the best stew I have ever tasted and to this day, the smell of fresh herbs triggers the memory of abuela (grandmother).
Maybe that is why, I have planted so many herbs, to keep her memory alive :)
Thank you dear friend for your memory and for the reminder...
Hope you have a blessed day,
mari
What a delightful memory Mari ~ I'm so glad that this one of mine triggered yours of your dear abuela!
I studied French throughout high school and during the first 2 years of university [I didn't continue], I learned a little Spanish and also had 1 years of beginner's Italian.
I *loved* those languages but unfortunately, if you don't use it regularly, you lose it :o(
The chicken stew sounds delicious and how wonderful that as you harvest and use your own garden herbs, her precious memory comes alive for you!
Blessings,
Dallas
I have been thinking of something similar! Our fabric scraps bring back many memories ~ matching dresses made for Easter ~ clothing entered in the fair ~ a favorite blanket ~ so many memories of times past!
Thank you for sharing of your precious memories!
Blessings on your day!
Sharon
lol I just posted something about this very thing on my blog. I was scanning pictures to put into my computer and memories came back to me, one of the pictures I posted was of me and a friend at a wedding as flower girls. I'm the taller of the two ;)
As I scanned that picture I remember the wedding, (My Mother to my Step Dad)and thought back to how we really needed a practice run. All the mistakes we made, but in the end the wedding was beautiful and I got myself a wonderful Dad.
What a lovely post--so sweet. (o:
I have memories of spending every summer at my my Nanny's (grandmother) house. Just sharing the day-to-day aspects of living were so special. What I remember most are our talks....she was the *best* listener.
And the new blog look is LOVELY!!
Sharon,
The memories attached to bits of fabric can be very special indeed and bring back vivid *pictures* of treasured times :o)
* * *
Theresa,
*Great minds think alike* :o)
Thanks for sharing the memories that your old photos brought back for you!
* * *
Michele,
Thanks! I felt like a bit of a *change* :o)
Your memories of your many summers spent at your Nanny's sound wonderful. My grandfather was the more patient listener in my family and I dearly loved the couple of summers that I spent with them.
I can still *picture* their little house and the rooms in my mind although the last visit took place approximately 36 years ago and I'm so thankful for all my cherished memories of them :o)
Blessings to each of you and thanks so much for sharing your special memories with me,
Dallas
Dallas,
I am visiting you real quick to let you know...that I got an award and would like to share it with you :)
mari
Dear Dallas,
I have been thinking so much lately about my Grandma. We moved from Michigan when I was 12, to California. Oh how I missed her.
I went back to see her after I graduated from high school and many times after I was married.
Some of the best memories were of her in the kitchen. We would clean fresh green beans together and peel bushes of peaches for jam and cobbler.
I baked with my almost four year old granddaughter today and posted how I hoped my four little granddaughters will remember baking with their Grandma like I do.
Thanks for sharing your sweet memories today...
Blessings, Patty
Dear Patty,
It's so good to have you back in the world of blogging! I can only imagine how upset you were when you accidentally deleted both your blogs!
Thanks so much for sharing your precious memories of your dear grandmother!
I *know* your grandchildren will have those special memories of you when they are older because you are taking and making the time to create wonderful times with them now :o)
Blessings,
Dallas
Post a Comment