
I got to *listen* to my grandson twice today ~ the 1st time was initiated by a phone call on my part and the 2nd was a total surprise! I heard his tiny voice happily tell me that he and his Daddy were going to the water park again and then I had an enjoyable but brief chat with my son.
About an hour or so later I received a call from my daughter who had been on a bit of a vacation since last Tuesday helping friends' parents put siding on their cottage, which is still far from being complete and which they are building by themselves. She loved helping out!
Suddenly she told me she had to get into her brother's car and then asked my grandson if he wanted to "Say Hi to Grandma?"
He did once again -- I had no idea that the 3 of them were going out for lunch so I put down the receiver with a sigh and a smile on my face :o)
Much later on, after supper I received a phone call that caused quite a bit of stress and it served to remind me of *one* of the *problem areas* in my personality ~ I seem to try to fix things for people and try to make things run smoothly .... I seem to want everyone to be happy and content. I have to remember that that is not my work .... it's the Lord's.
I CANNOT fix things; I CANNOT make things run smoothly or help people be happy or content ~ those are the very areas of work and change that are the Lord's, especially when those people are His own.
Most importantly, I CANNOT decipher for another believer what the Lord's will is for them in their day to day life choices.
If the question was over something that is clearly written about in the Scriptures, I can lovingly point them to it, but in deciding day to day life choices, they have to pray about their own particular situation and have peace before Him about their decisions.
I have to learn to remember that and not to take upon myself more than I am personally responsible for and to pray for those others that I feel deeply for, whatever their situation or circumstances!
7 comments:
Amen. I fear I'm often too quick to offer advice that I really shouldn't. Oh bother.
Tracy,
I know what you're talking about! If I prayed more and said less, I'd be better off!
Thats right, we are but people and have not the power to change the problems of others. All we can do is stand back and pray for them.
Dear Abounding treasures, I think we would all be better off to remember to pray more and talk less. But it is so hard when in our heart we know what seems to be best for someone and we don't understand why they don't see it. But you are right, we are not anyones Holy Spirit so we do have to be careful what we say to others. Thank you for this reminder. connie from Texas
This was my day yesterday too....to include the phone calls and the stress I allowed them to bring..I couldn't believe it when I read this post this morning. WOW......
I need this, you have NO idea...
Thanks for writing this...I will need to re-read this as a reminder.
Deby
I struggle with the same thing. I also struggle with internalizing other people's problems and I end up more upset about them than they are! I'm learning to change this. I pray for them and try and leave it with the Lord. Not always easy....
Theresa,
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is "stand back and pray for them" - thanks for sharing your thoughts!
* * *
Connie,
I appreciated your thoughts about wondering why someone doesn't see things when they are simply stated in God's Word ... what I need to do is definitely pray more and talk less :o)
* * *
Deby,
I am so glad that this posting was a blessing to you in some way! I know it was definitely something that the Lord was showing me!!
Hope your day today is *less* stressful :o)
* * *
Michele,
You put into words another problem that I struggle with and that's *internalizing other people's problems or dilemmas* and almost trying to bear them on my shoulders!
I have to learn to pray for them about the very situation they've asked me for advice on and then leave it with the Lord :o)
Trust all of you have a blessed week ahead, recognizing much of the Lord's hand in your daily walk,
Dallas
Post a Comment