Friday, April 11, 2008

Words Fitly Spoken

Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort
of feeling safe with a person,
having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words,
but pouring them all out, just as they are,
chaff and grain together,
certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them,
keep what is worth keeping,
and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.

~ Dinah Craik ~

I understand the sentiment behind this quote and I appreciate it as far as it goes. Since my best friend is my husband, he sees me at my best and my worst so this verse is very appropos.

But, I really think that no matter who we are speaking with, we ought to be careful what we say because words uttered without thought and in anger and haste, can do great damage.

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."
[Proverbs 25:11]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is my best friend, too... and I must say he must "blow things away" quite a bit :-)

Kate

Tracy said...

Amen. My husband is my best friend, too. But words that are spoken cannot be taken back. My daughters and I attended a ladies retreat in August. We sang," A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold, in settings of silver, apples of gold!" I can't tell you how many times that has come back to me over these months!

Abounding Treasures said...

Kate,

I've said that before too - My husband has "blown things away" many times :o)
*******
Tracy,

Isn't it a beautiful verse?! "Apples of gold, in settings of silver" - comes back to me often, too :o)

Blessings to both of you!
Dallas

~~Deby said...

Amen to this statement...so much damage can be done by the tongue...yet so much love and guidance and burden sharing can be done ....I think this is a good reminder to weigh our words.
My husband is also this kind of person..I am so thankful for that.
Deby

Abounding Treasures said...

Deby,

Amen! I agree wholeheartedly that we should ALWAYS measure our words ... it's something that I am still learning and still, at times, forgetting :o(