Tuesday, April 29, 2008

CHATS WITH AN "OLD LADY": I AM NOT A "GODLY" WOMAN!

CHATS WITH AN "OLD LADY": I AM NOT A "GODLY" WOMAN!

I want to share this challenging, encouraging and very real post made by Gina at CHATS WITH AN 'OLD LADY that I read yesterday. For a minute I thought she must have somehow found out about me :o)

My own heart and life echo what Gina posted and I've quoted some of it here, but you need to really visit her blog and read it in its entirety.


I AM NOT A GODLY WOMAN ... by Gina @ Chats with an 'Old Lady'

"Okay! It's confession time. I'm not who you think I am! Oh, I know ... I might appear to be certain things, but I have to be honest ... it's not who I am! ... !

God has been reminding me of THE TRUTH ABOUT MYSELF ... what I REALLY am. All of those things I might want to be "seen as"... a godly woman, godly wife and mother, even a Titus Two woman ... that is not really who I am. The truth of it is that I am one thing...

A sinner.

That's it ...

The older I get I see this more clearly. I see that there is nothing good within me. The only thing that is good ... is the presence of God in my life. Apart from that, there would be nothing good.

I am a woman. Selfish, self focused, prideful, lacking self control.

I am a wife. I get impatient with my husband, want to do my own thing, and don't want to be told what to do.

I am a mother
. I get irritated with my children when they are too loud, or act immature, or disobey. I don't want to be inconvenienced. I can be really lazy ...

I am an 'older woman
". I forget to encourage others, get impatient when younger women "don't get it" (and of course, I ALWAYS "get it"!) and mentally check people off my "list" when they make stupid choices.

This is who I am ... apart from God. See ... I told you ... !

But ...

When I allow God to fill this middle aged, a little bit overweight, sinful, dying vessel ... then I am flooded with who HE is, and that takes over. So, any good that you may see in my life ... well ... that is God.

When I allow God free reign over who I am, and strive to choose to obey, then He enters into the picture and floods me with WHO HE IS ... and enables me to do those things and be that person that is "good". And let me tell you, what He does is SO MUCH BETTER than what I try to put on in my own efforts!

God enables me, and works through me, that I can be ...

A woman who is NOT selfish, self focused, prideful, lacking self control. But one who serves, focuses on God and others, and is characterized by humility.

A wife who does NOT get impatient with my husband, want to do my own thing, and doesn't want to be told what to do. But one who patient, gracious, and submissive.

A mother
who does NOT get irritated with my children when they are too loud, or act immature, or disobey. Who does NOT mind being inconvenienced, and who is NOT lazy!

An 'older woman
" who encourages others, doesn't get impatient when younger women "don't get it" (and admits that she doesn't always "get it"either!) and doesn't mentally check people off my "list" when they make stupid choices. One who is patient and prays.

If there is evidence of ANY of those things, it is God working through me and enabling me. I am not a godly woman!

I am a great sinner, but I have a great Savior!"

"I have been crucified with Christ;
and it is no longer I who live,
but Christ lives in me;
and the life which I now live in the flesh
I live by faith in the Son of God,
who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

~ Galatians 2:20 ~

3 comments:

~~Deby said...

oh this is so good...so many truths and ways that I see the *yuck* sides of me...and yet there is hope, isn't there?
Deby

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! It is encouraging and challenging!

Blessings,

Sharon

Anonymous said...

This was an awesome post!!! VERY good!